The state of California was the first to legalize the medical marijuana program with the Proposition 215 and passed as the Compassionate Use Act of 1996. Fortunately, last November 2016, good news came to the citizens of California where the Proposition 64 was approved with the Adult Use Marijuana Act, making California the 6th state to legalize the use of marijuana for recreational purposes.
But, how legal marijuana is in San Francisco?
Not too long ago, the city of San Francisco received a go signal for dispensing or selling adult-use cannabis for recreational purpose; five days after the state had issued approval of cannabis retail last January 1, 2018.
However, despite the legality and the amendments of Article 16 of the San Francisco Police Code, permitting order for marijuana retail and businesses, there are limitations that marijuana users should follow. Below are the restrictions, under California’s marijuana laws, when buying and using adult-use marijuana in San Francisco:
• Only 21 years and older with valid state identification can legally purchase, transport, and grow cannabis for recreational use.
• Only 8 grams of marijuana concentrate and 6 marijuana plants can a qualified adult possess.
• It is prohibited to use marijuana at public places such as public utility vehicles, transport areas, near a school, at the school properties, or where children are present, near police facilities, and more.
• It is prohibited to drive while under the influence of marijuana.
• It is prohibited to possess an open container and other paraphernalia in the vehicle that is used for transportation.
• It is prohibited to ingest and smoke marijuana even at the passenger or vehicle’s compartment.
• Individuals who are under the marijuana influence and caused professional malpractice will be accountable for punishment.
• Marijuana users are not allowed to purchase and transport marijuana concentrates or plant outside California.
• The medical marijuana users in San Francisco is prohibited from selling medical marijuana (concentrations or raw) to non-medical or medical users; however, they can give it away for free.
Aside from restrictions, there is some good news for recreational marijuana users:
• Under the amended Article 16 of the San Francisco Police Code, police can no longer detain you nor immediately search your area if they smell marijuana smoke or see some evidence of marijuana products with you.
• All individuals with prior or current convictions and felonies related to marijuana use since 1975 will be reduced to misdemeanors; there are reliable resources where you can read more about marijuana criminalization.
• Adult-marijuana users that smoke for anxiety, depression, stress, insomnia, and other related symptoms can now apply for medical marijuana card online.
The medical marijuana in San Francisco remains active and ongoing. Patients who are 18 years and older with valid doctor’s prescription and valid medical marijuana card are allowed to purchase cannabis for medical use.
Below are some stores that you might want to visit if you are looking for adult-use marijuana:
• Grass Roots
• Harvest on Geary
• Purple St MD
• The Apothecarium
• Flowers Power SF
• Releaf Herbal Cooperative
• The Green Cross
There is other more authorized and licensed retailers where you can legally purchase marijuana (plant or concentrations) in San Francisco California.